[chef] Re: Workflows, librarian, cookbooks as individual git repositories, and other headaches

  • From: Jeremiah Snapp < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Workflows, librarian, cookbooks as individual git repositories, and other headaches
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:52:15 -0400

I don't have a rake task to handle making sure all my cookbooks have been pushed.

But I do have a way to manage my cookbooks that could solve the problem of making sure a colleague knows what's in the site-cookbooks directory.
I really like Librarian for managing cookbooks but I use it a little different than it's documentation suggests.

Among other things I don't include site-cookbooks in my knife cookbook_path.  Instead I put git hosted cookbooks outside my chef-repo and source them using :path in Cheffile while testing them.  I also keep a commented :git source to the cookbooks in Cheffile so once I push changes to github I comment the :path entries and uncomment the :git entries.

I describe this more completely here.

https://github.com/jeremiahsnapp/chef-repo/wiki/Chef-Cookbook-Management

I hope that helps.

-Jeremiah