[chef] Re: git-subtree for cookbook management?

  • From: Jeremiah Snapp < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: git-subtree for cookbook management?
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 09:06:01 -0400

Sorry, my last email mentioned git subtree's README but I was wrong.  Please refer to it's git-subtree.txt [1] file instead.

An article mentioning git subtree [2] mentions that a downside is having to explicitly split changes to a sub-project out of the parent project.

"The downside is that all of your subproject files are present in the parent repository, which means you’re giving up some of the reason for originally splitting up your project repositories: having one canonical repository for a given set of shared code. If someone makes a change to a subproject, they can merge it with other changes locally, but they’d have to explicitly split that change back out of their project if they wanted to share it with projects."

In fact that point is also made in git-subtree.txt [1].

"If the standalone library gets updated, you can automatically merge the changes into your project; if you update the library inside your project, you can "split" the changes back out again and merge them back into the library project."