[chef] Re: Re: git-subtree for cookbook management?

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: git-subtree for cookbook management?
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 15:16:40 +0200

apparently, I have misunderstood  the :path attribute until now, thanks for clarifying Jeremiah!

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Jeremiah Snapp < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
That's great to hear it's been merged into git because it seems to be much more useful and flexible than submodules.  I've even used it a little to extract some of my cookbooks from a chef-repo.

The second link you gave however is not related to the same project.  It is related to "subtree merge" which is different.  The recently merged "subtree" command's README indicates that it should not be confused with "submodules" or the "subtree merge" strategies.

I may misunderstand Librarian's intended use but I'm very pleased with it's ability to handle cookbooks I modify whether they are personal cookbooks or vendor cookbooks.  I use Librarian's ":path" parameter to include cookbooks I'm working on.  I use Librarian's ":git" parameter to include unmodified personal or vendor cookbooks from a git server (typically github).  Once I'm done working on a cookbook I typically commit and push it to a git server at which point I tell Librarian to pull it using ":git" instead of ":path".  This makes it very easy and flexible for me to keep cookbooks decoupled and separate from my git managed chef-repo.  You can see an example of my Librarian Cheffile here [1].  As you can see in the comments I have separated my original cookbooks from modified vendor cookbooks and unmodified vendor cookbooks.