[chef] Re: knife ec2 plugin

  • From: Peter Norton < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: knife ec2 plugin
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:22:29 -0400

Creating an AMI is tricky because there are 2 varieties of AMIs: 1 is the instance-store, the other is the ebs-backed.  They each require a different set of actions.  The instance-store requires that you place the amazon ssl key and cert on the instance to be stamped, while the ebs method requires that to get a consistent image you need to reboot the instance.  Both require that you then do some stuff after the snapshot is taken etc.

So it's not trivially simple, but the above will help you get started.  I have some ironfan-based clusters and recipes to make this work, but ironfan isn't required to do this yourself.  If you ping me I can probably provide some guidance, but I'm short of bandwidth at the moment.

-Peter