[chef] Re: knife ec2 plugin

  • From: John Martinez < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: knife ec2 plugin
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:36:10 -0700

One more recommendation: get familiar with the ec2-api tools.

On Sep 13, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Maven User < "> > wrote:

Cool - thanks all for the feedback!

I'm new to most of this tech, so forgive my naivete.

In the AWS Console, I can right click on a running instance and create an ami.

Essentially, what we're doing with knife is perfecting a virginal Ubuntu instance (apps/config/users/etc) then (currently) calling the AWS tools (installed on build machines) to turn that instance into an AMI which in turn we're using Asgard to roll out to different ASGs.

If/when we want to make changes, we'll roll out new AMI's (the result of our build process).  The Instance that we create is transient (we'll throw it away when the AMI has been vetted).

We for sure want EBS backed for now.

Please keep the feedback coming!