[chef] Re: Re: Re: further whyrun testing

  • From: Marc Paradise < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: further whyrun testing
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:29:51 -0400

Hi,

By its nature, whyrun takes every reasonable precaution to avoid making changes to system state. This means that no cookbook can actually execute - including those that would install ohai plugins.

In this case chef would report that the plugins would be installed, but anything further that depends on the presence of these plugins can't be executed until they are actually installed.

If you need data gathered by the plugins, you will need to install the plugins via a normal chef client run before the data they gather is available to a whyrun execution.

Thanks,

- Marc