[chef] Couple of test-kitchen questions

  • From: David Petzel < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Couple of test-kitchen questions
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 18:19:55 -0400

Coming back to test-kitchen after a little time off, and glad to see lots of improvements in very short period of time. I've got two items which are slowing me down that I'm hoping might have easy solutions:
1) Shutting down a Configuration after test: If I have multiple configurations lets say 4 ( a client and a server configuration on 2 platforms). It seems like the VMs are spun up serially, and one is completed its left on while the next is started. Is it possible to have the original shutdown (without destroy) at the end of the run, so I'm not left with 4 VMs spinning by the end of the test? The --teardown option seems to imply the VMs will be destroyed?

2) Almost in contrast of my first question, I'm wondering how to speed up tests during quick iteration cycles. Before test-kitchen, using standalone Vagrant files, I could just run vagrant provision blah over and over as I fine tune things for a set configuration. I understand that I can use the --configuration and the --platform options to `kitchen test` to limit the scope of the test, but ideally I'd like to skip all the pre-checks as well, especially the "Validating ruby files" which seems obnoxiously slow on my machine.  I still want all checks to run when I think I have a finished product, just not while I'm iterating through and fine tuning a recipe. Any way to pull that off?