[chef] Re: Re: Couple of test-kitchen questions

  • From: David Petzel < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Couple of test-kitchen questions
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 22:42:56 -0400

Thanks for the info Joshua

What about simply leveraging your shell?

bundle exec kitchen test && bundle exec kitchen destroy

Then the environment would only be torn down if the run was successful.

The tearing down isn't so much my problem as having all the VMs up and running at once. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I believe the command line above would still in result in all VMs running at the same time by the end of the successful run? Basically what I'm looking for is on a successful run of a configuration on a platform, shutdown (not destroy) that platform, before moving onto the next

Validating ruby files is the knife cookbook test command that checks syntax of the rb and erb. That should be pretty fast, though as it stores the checksums with a time stamp and only checks files that have changed.

I probably should clarify that I'm on a windows workstation, so Rubyin general is just obnoxiously slow to start at times, so I think the syntax check times are more a result of how long it takes ruby to initialize on my workstation than the checks themselves. Whatever the cause of the slowness (and the quantify of it), it would be nice to be able to just "skip it" when desired.

There seem to be other opportunities for optimization, though.

3. The test-kitchen cookbook itself does some work that may not be required, such as using the rvm cookbook and installing fit and other things beforehand.

I don't mind the work that is done, and I don't want to skip it all the time (which can be done fairly easily via the Kitchenfile, but I'd like the ability to skip on demand. I.E., while iterating, say "don't do all the cool stuff, just provision.". Its obviously not a huge deal, and the time that test-kitchen saves dwarfs this by orders of magnitude, so I don' want it to sound like a complaint per say, but rather just exploring tiny time savers