[chef] Cookbook Versioning Policy

  • From: Kevin Christen < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Cookbook Versioning Policy
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 22:02:49 -0600

My organization has been using chef-solo for about 9 months, and we're making the move to chef server. I'm going to need to provide guidance to cookbook developers on bumping cookbook versions. I plan to follow the semantic versioning (http://semver.org/) guidelines, where a non-backward compatible change results in a major version bump, a backward compatible change results in a minor version bump, and anything else results in a micro version bump.

I think I can provide guidance on what kind of cookbook changes are backward compatible and what kinds aren't, but I imagine some else has already done that. Are there existing cookbook versioning policy documents that I could rely on?

Thanks,
Kevin Christen