[chef] Re: Re: Re: Cookbook Versioning Policy

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Cookbook Versioning Policy
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:07:26 +0100

+1 for build identifiers

As Greg said, that would finally be a sane ways to differentiate forked community cookbooks from the upstream ones. As of today, there's no sane way of doing this. For sure you could define a different cookbook location (like ":git => 'my-fork-of-cookbook-xyz'") in a Berksfile or Cheffile, but in the metadata.rb this information is lost again.

There's a similar discussion ongoing whether to add a `url` to the metadata.rb. I believe this is an attempt to solve the same problem, but in my opinion, adding the url is too much implemtenation detail. If we could just add something like version `1.0.1.something` that uniquely identifies a forked version then we wouldn't need something like an url in the metadata.rb.