[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Redhat admins, if a cookbook enables EPEL, is that a surprise?

  • From: "steve ." < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Redhat admins, if a cookbook enables EPEL, is that a surprise?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:36:00 -0800

Changes made via the yum LWRP will trigger an immediate cache rebuild, even in the Precambrian-era version of the cookbook that I'm using... ;)

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Nguyen, Dang < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Any changes you make to the .repo files need to also trigger yum to clear out its local cache on your node. I don't know of a better way to trigger yum to clear out its cache, except for an execute resource that runs "yum clean all" whose default action is set to :nothing. Obviously, your template resources that create the .repo files, should notify that execute resource that runs "yum clean all".

execute "yum_clean_all" do
command "yum clean all"
action :nothing
end

template "/etc/yum.repos.d/blah.repo" do
notifies :run, "execute[yum clean all]"
end

Obviously, these are very simple examples, but you get the picture.

--Dang

It appears that behavior still is there.  I don't quite understand the reasoning for that either.  Surely, if you wanted to manage a repo file with a LWRP, wouldn't you want it to wipe out the file, and place the correct contents in there via template?

That is, if its managed via a template resource... Then, one would expect the template resource to do the right thing and re-write it, or check that the file is correct and then move on.  If I needed to change the baseurl, I want the template resource to correct that url on every node, not skip over it if the file exists.   Having to wipe out the file on each node, just seems wrong.
Eric G. Wolfe
Senior Linux Administrator,
IT Infrastructure Systems
Marshall University Computing Services
Drinko Library 428-K
One John Marshall Dr.
Huntington, WV 25755
Phone: 304.942.3970
Email:

 " target="_blank">

You will be recognized and honored as a community leader.