[chef] Re: Redhat admins, if a cookbook enables EPEL, is that a surprise?

  • From: Jesse Campbell < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Redhat admins, if a cookbook enables EPEL, is that a surprise?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:21:10 -0500

I suppose I'm going against the grain here, but in our house I wrote a different recipe yum::attribute_hash that parses a hash from attributes to generate all of the .repo files, rather than having a separate recipe for each one. This allows us to be consistent in placing the repo url locations into our different environment files.

the hash looks like this:
  :repo => {
    :list => {
      "CentOS-Base" => {
        :url =">" "http://yum-web.internal:8080/CentOS/$releasever/os/$basearch/",
        :enabled => true
      }
    }
  }

Anything that isn't in the list gets wiped out by the recipe, so someone adding yum::epel to a recipe would cause chef to create the epel .repo file, flush the yum cache, then wipe it out again and re-flush the cache, for every run (unless it was *also* added to the attribute hash).

Not exactly ideal.

I can post the recipe for those interested.

-Jesse