[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Redhat admins, if a cookbook enables EPEL, is that a surprise?

  • From: "steve ." < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Redhat admins, if a cookbook enables EPEL, is that a surprise?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:13:45 -0800

Internally, we've gone as far as writing an ohai plugin that determines whether or not we're in a restricted data center environment before overriding yum repository sources and enabling/disabling repos.

On a related note, I can't remember whether or not the yum_repo LWRP parses existing files for options in its load_current_resource() or just checks to see whether or not the file exists ... I just remember that when I change a Yum mirror I find that the mirrors don't get updated on my nodes until I nuke the repo file from /etc/yum.repos.d.  But this is with an old fork... is that behavior still around?

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Joshua Buysse < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
In that case, I'd fork the yum cookbook locally and override the epel recipe to do what I want with a local repo. For a cookbook, activating epel is the best general solution - if you're one of the small percentage that won't work for, it's easy enough to replace without problem as long as the cookbook uses yum::epel.

I would do the same thing for anything involving rpmforge, for example. I have a few packages that I rebuilt/resigned locally, but I haven't run in to that with a cookbook yet.