[chef] Re: nodes not showing up in `knife status`

  • From: Spike Grobstein < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: nodes not showing up in `knife status`
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:00:41 -0500

ahhh. ok. This is all starting to make sense now. I didn't fully understand how all the components of chef worked together, so I didn't know where to look.

the nodes were not coming up in searches, so it definitely looked like my new nodes weren't being indexed in solr. I tried to run `knife index rebuild -y`, but got:

$ knife index rebuild -y
ERROR: Server returned error for http://localhost:4000//search/reindex, retrying 1/5 in 4s

(I have an ssh tunnel to access the private network of our infrastructure)

so I took a look at /var/log/chef/solr.log and saw:

Jan 29, 2013 1:52:04 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: [] webapp=/solr path=/update params={} status=500 QTime=6
Jan 29, 2013 1:52:04 PM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
SEVERE: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/cache/chef/solr/data/index/_6xjj.fdt (Permission denied)

I'd had a problem in early january when upgrading my chef-server system and inadvertently deleted the `chef` user, so I recreated it and went around and had to re-`chown` everything. I missed the /var/cache/chef directory, so after fixing that, this worked:

$ knife index rebuild -y
Chef::ApiClient:    success
Chef::DataBag:      success
Chef::Environment:  success
Chef::Node:         success
Chef::Role:         success

now `knife status` shows all of my nodes, including the new ones.

Thanks for all the help!

...spike