[chef] Re: EC2 and VPC

  • From: Zac Stevens < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: EC2 and VPC
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:06:31 +0000

Hi Sam,

One thing to be aware of, if you rely on "knife bootstrap" to provision servers, is that you need end-to-end connectivity between your workstation (running knife) and the newly provisioned instance.  That's a given if you're using plain EC2, but you'll need some kind of VPN if you're using VPC.  Amazon has turnkey support for connecting hardware VPNs to VPC, but you can provision something software based (eg, openvpn) if you prefer.

Other than that, not all AWS services are available inside VPC, you may have some additional work to do to ensure redundancy, and there are the usual tradeoffs between security and complexity.  None of that is specifically related to Chef, though, and I'd think detailed discussion of those issues would be off-topic for this list...

Zac