[chef] Re: EC2 and VPC

  • From: Paul Graydon < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: EC2 and VPC
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:11:46 -1000

On 02/28/2013 12:34 AM, Sam Darwin wrote:
For Amazon users, are you using plain ec2 or the VPC offering?
Why have you switched to VPC?
Why haven't you switched to VPC?

For context, there may be a difference between standard corporate enterprises
and fast-moving web-based startups.   We are in the latter category and using
chef to provision the servers.
We've started using VPC here too, although now it looks like we're not going to be doing much of a migration to AWS that we were planning originally.
Apart from just the few initial quirks to figure out (e.g. machines in the non-public subnet can't access the internet without setting up a NAT / route somewhere) it's looking great, and our security auditor was rather enthusiastic about us using it over straight EC2 as you've go additional layers of security.
The impression I got from the Tech Sales folk at Amazon was that their current aim is to make everything VPC and that plain EC2 would be become a 2nd class citizen at best.

Paul