[chef] Re: chef-server on a VM

  • From: Adam Jacob < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: chef-server on a VM
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:06:38 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

It's a reasonable default for most situations – the alternative is to use the IP Address, which is actively icky as well.

Adam

Ohai Chefs,

Why does the omnibus chef-server deb not work by default on a VM?

I'm following http://docs.opscode.com/chef/install_server_scenario_vm.html but at the end, if I hit the webserver on port 80 it redirects me to the VM's hostname, which is obviously not accessible from outside of the VM unless I edit my hostsfile.

I'm wondering why it's set like that by default; it seems like an anti-pattern. Also, how do I change this behaviour?

Other than that, the omnibus package is a breeze to install. Fantastic job!

- cassiano