[chef] Re: Standard Practices

  • From: Kevin Nuckolls < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Standard Practices
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:38:29 -0500

I think it's an emerging best practice to go with having everything but cookbooks in your master git repo: environments, data bags, roles, etc. Then keep just all the cookbooks in their own repositories. You should look into how people are beginning to use the wrapper cookbook pattern and what berkshelf provides to tie everything together. After a year and a half of doing it all in one big repository and feeling the pain of it, I can unequivocally say that I think this is the future.

http://devopsanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-write-reusable-chef-cookbooks.html
http://berkshelf.com/
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/27487546/highlight/309841

Best Regards,