[chef] Re: Re: Standard Practices

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Standard Practices
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 19:53:58 +0100

Am 13.03.2013 19:36 schrieb "Ben Hartshorne" < "> >:

> A number of folks responded indicating a myriad of problems with having all the cookbooks in one repo.  I'd like to hear more about these problems.  So far (admittedly, without too many people working on the cookbooks) I've had no trouble keeping all the cookbooks in one big repo together.

This might work well if you have only a single chef repo. If you have multiple chef repos for multiple infrastructures you end up duplicating cookbook sources and you are no longer having a single source of cookbook truth as soon as you make the first chef-repo local modification to a cookbook.

> Following the standard practice of branch/work/merge, unless we're actually working on the same part of the same cookbook at the same time (which would clearly have issues even if each cookbook was in its own repo), the merges all happen with no trouble.
>
> Could one of you that migrated from one-big-repo to tons-of-tiny-repos describe in more detail the issues you encountered?
>
> My other question is how you deal with having so many repositories.  When you want to refresh your local copy, I'm used to just doing a 'git pull'.  Instead do you have to 'for i in *; do pushd $i; git pull; popd; done' every time you want to get everything up to current?

You wouldn't do that. You'd rather have a Berksfile or Cheffile defining your cookbook dependencies and then run 'berks install' or 'librarian-chef install' and your cookbook dependencies get downloaded to ./cookbooks which is typically .gitignore'd.