[chef] Re: Re: Standard Practices

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Standard Practices
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:39:31 +0100

We are using:
- single git repo per cookbook
- one git repo per project infrastructure
- cookbook dependencies resolved via librarian-chef instead of berkshelf (due to proxy support)
- application cookbooks instead of roles

This works quite well and is quite sound imho - cookbook dependency management is king!

Within the project infrastructure repo we have a rake task which resolves the cookbook dependencies _per application cookbook_ into <project-infra>/cookbooks/<app-cookbook>-<version>. This honors the fact that application cookbooks may use different versions of dependent library cookbooks (e.g. app-a depends on lib-d 1.0 but app-b depends on lib-d 2.0 and both live in the same project infra)

The only thing that makes me a bit unhappy is that we can not use version numbers like "1.1.0.dev" to differentiate between in-development and stable versions or "1.1.0.my-fork" to differentiate between forks of and original community cookbook versions.

Cheers, Torben