[chef] Re: Re: How do you manage multiple data centers

  • From: Jesse Nelson < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: How do you manage multiple data centers
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:40:43 -0700

I've used internal DNS to denote locality. We use a contrived 4letter LTD and then use the datacenter as the first dot: i.e: 356sf.myorg, 365ny.myorg.  I know it violates the cardinal no metadata in name rule that I try to abide by, but this makes it pretty easy to handle data center specific needs via node.domain, and without the need for specific roles to locality. A single cook/role (or role cook) denotes all the specifics for each datacenter, and individual cooks can easily override if needed.