[chef] Re: [chef: How do you manage multiple data centers

  • From: Sascha Bates < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: [chef: How do you manage multiple data centers
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 00:48:16 -0500

Well, my gut feeling for this is that it's because, when I promote a cookbook, I want all my production servers to get that promotion. I don't want to have to promote for each data center.  I am specifically using my environments to control cookbook code promotion and if I had a need, to key off the name for organization-wide settings, like an integration URL that differs across environments.

For the record, when I say "promote a cookbook" I have 4 main cookbooks that represent server apps or profiles. Inside each of those cookbooks, the metadata points to the versions of supporting cookbooks it requires.  So I pin versions of my 4 main profiles in the production env. I don't "promote" supporting cookbooks, but instead bump version numbers whenever I make a change so that the metadata version dependencies for each profile cookbook is very specific.

Whatever secondary data container I settle on for dc-specific settings should be fairly static - local DNS, local package repos, whatever, requiring many fewer changes.

I'm afraid this might have rambled a bit. I probably should write technical emails when I'm falling asleep.

For the record, I appreciate everyone's input and have marked some of the Chef talks to also watch. I'm made this decision before and I've seen it made and disagreed with some implementations I've seen. My goal is to make the decision and not regret it in a few months.

Sascha

Torben Knerr wrote:
" type="cite">

Hey guys,

this is theoretical, I'm not through this in practice yet:

From a aconceptual point of view, I'd argue to definitely use environments rather than roles for keeping the datacenter (=a different environment) specific attributes.

From the gut feeling I would have started with sth like 'prod_dc1' and 'prod_dc2' environments etc..

Did I get it conceptually wrong or are there other practical reasons why you are all using a single 'prod' env and managing the dc specific stuff in roles instead?

Cheers, Torben