[chef] RE: Re: How do you manage multiple data centers

  • From: "Justin Witrick" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] RE: Re: How do you manage multiple data centers
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 09:26:33 -0400 (EDT)

For my case we already know what datacenter the servers are in, so I use a combination of attributes and data bags.

If the data is not changing between datacenters then I just use attributes.

I create data bags for each datacenter that holds the specific values I need that cannot be default attributes.

Then during the chef run each node knows which specific data bag it needs to look at.

So for example maybe I will have an databag that is named 'production' and within it an item named 'datacenter1', etc..

Justin