[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: application_ruby cookbook and rbenv

  • From: Mathieu Martin < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: application_ruby cookbook and rbenv
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 01:30:54 -0400

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Cassiano Leal < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hah, I see!

That's an interesting approach, I didn't even recall the existence of Passenger standalone. :) I'll try to adapt this to my setup (with apache instead of nginx and a heavy use of named vhosts) but I guess it'll work out ok.

Yeah, you can keep using Apache no problem. Just treat Passenger standalone as an upstream. The fact that it uses nginx internally is an implementation detail :-)

It still eludes me why it's so difficult to reproduce my current setup in Chef, though.

I do think some of those cookbooks (e.g. application_ruby, deploy, nginx w/ Passenger) don't do enough handholding to help newcomers understand how they should be used. I don't use them.

The attributes are all laid out just fine, but I think they could be more explicit in detailing the assumptions the cookbook makes about how your app works or how you subsequently deploy it.

Thanks for all the pointers, I believe I have enough to get going for now. :)

Glad to be of help!

Mat