[chef] Re: application_ruby cookbook and rbenv

  • From: Mathieu Martin < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: application_ruby cookbook and rbenv
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 10:51:00 -0400

Ah, look at teohm's databox cb. Handles both pg and mysql :-)

On Saturday, May 11, 2013, Cassiano Leal wrote:
On Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 02:30, Mathieu Martin wrote:
It still eludes me why it's so difficult to reproduce my current setup in Chef, though.

I do think some of those cookbooks (e.g. application_ruby, deploy, nginx w/ Passenger) don't do enough handholding to help newcomers understand how they should be used. I don't use them.

The attributes are all laid out just fine, but I think they could be more explicit in detailing the assumptions the cookbook makes about how your app works or how you subsequently deploy it.
Agreed. And there's the fact that there's one cookbook on top of the other (application_ruby uses application, but you first need to understand how application works before you even try to begin understanding how application_* does, which is not only a mess in itself, but is not clearly stated anywhere I could see either). There should be some sort of a cookbook manual for these cases -- a cookbook cookbook? :)
Thanks for all the pointers, I believe I have enough to get going for now. :)

Glad to be of help!

Mat
Yeah, thanks again. I haven't yet gotten to the state where I can say that this will definitely work, but there's nothing pointing me to the contrary atm. I still neet to get the pg gem to compile when bundler runs, but I'm going to open a separate thread for that. :)

Cheers!

- cassiano

I'm the founder of Rock Solid Ops Inc, a web consultancy.

My main fields of expertise are Ruby on Rails web development, DevOps and a bit of mobile. If you need help scaling, understanding, securing or managing your web infrastructure (Rails or not), get in touch!

Connect with me and read testimonials on my LinkedIn, follow me on twitter @webmat, or check out my blog at programblings.com.

If you're a tech person, the following may make sense to you.

I'm the author of git_remote_branch. A tool that's been helping common mortals like me share git branches for 5 years. Downloaded 50 000 times.

I've also contributed to some of the popular libraries in the Rails, jQuery and PhoneGap ecosystems:

paperclip, active_admin, jquery-ujs, jquery-rails, kaminari, AssetSync, phonegap-plugin-facebook-connect, shoulda, woulda, jeweler.

If you visit them on GitHub, you'll see my face in the "Contributors" section :-)