[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: COOK-3084 - wrong python on RHEL5

  • From: Alex Kiernan < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: COOK-3084 - wrong python on RHEL5
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:54:46 +0100

If I had a free hand I'd pick this one https://github.com/akiernan/python/tree/remove-interpreter as I feel that making interpreter a first class attribute sends the wrong message, but a major version bump for a single change seems excessive.

Given I don't have a free hand, my preferred option would be https://github.com/akiernan/python/tree/avoid-venv-python since it doesn't gratuitously pass in --python and feels like it has the best chance of doing what the virtualenv authors intended.

I actually like https://github.com/akiernan/python/tree/handle-rhel5 the least, but I initially did it like that in an effort to find the smallest possible change which would resolve the problem (and most likely to get accepted... oh how wrong I was :))

https://github.com/akiernan/python/compare/opscode-cookbooks:master...handle-rhel5#L7R29

> Should/can this default to a node attribute, so if the attribute was
> modified to "/usr/bin/python27" it could pass as well? Or do we
> refrain from adding attributes to tests?

I'm always wary of tests that do that kind of thing, it feels like it's too easy to get into a situation where you're really doing `assert x == x'. But I guess these are integration tests and we're taking a trip through the runtime so that shouldn't apply; equally I really can't see anyone being crazy enough to try and get EL5 up to Python 2.7.

In all honesty I think the tests I've added actually want refactoring into a proper virtualenv test suite, but that doesn't really sit well with a red-green defect fixing style; I'd rather get this change in then think about the refactor.