[chef] Re: Re: Migrating mailing list

  • From: "Julian C. Dunn" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Migrating mailing list
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 18:10:38 -0400

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Lamont Granquist < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On 9/3/13 1:18 PM, Nathen Harvey wrote:
We've looked at using Google Groups to host our fancy new mailing lists
but that doesn't seam feasible primarily because it's going to be nearly
impossible to cleanly migrate all of our existing messages to Google
Groups.

Does that have to be a requirement?

If the old mailing list archives are kept around and searchable via
google search on the web the information can still be found.  As time
goes on the utility of that old information decays and will eventually
become more of a hindrance than its worth anyway.  I don't see why we
need a pack-rat mentality towards information here.

I'm with Lamont. I'd much rather see us keep a static archive of the old list (perhaps migrating the last year or so) and just use Google Groups. Everyone knows Google Groups.

For the record, I too have thrown away all my RS-232 and RS-422 cables including the Frankenstein one I used to connect to the serial console on an SGI Challenge L oh-so-long-ago :-P

- Julian