[chef] Re: Re: Chef server as a chef-client on itself ok?

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Chef server as a chef-client on itself ok?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 12:23:34 -0700

same here. Chef server is a chef client  too. some time the higher precedence environments control the lower precedence environments chef server,
e.g. prod chef -server  -> chef client to itself
staging chef server -> chef client to itself
ops chef server -> chef client to staging . Ops is the environment where all chef testing happens, the ops chef server has a CD (continuous deployment) recipe, which erase the chef server, and restore all chef artifacts (nodes, clients, cookbooks , databags etc) from git repo & backup. This enables us to test the whole backup restore mechanism, as well as ensures we dont have dangling cookbooks (not checked inside repo, not present in Berksfile, but still present in chef server),
best
ranjib