[chef] RE: Chef server as a chef-client on itself ok?

  • From: Kevin Keane Subscription < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] RE: Chef server as a chef-client on itself ok?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 15:13:24 -0700

Title: RE: [chef] Chef server as a chef-client on itself ok?

A couple of reasons, actually, but you have to determine whether or not they apply to you.

First, until Chef 10, the client and server code were intermingled. If you used a cookbook to configure the chef-client, it could accidentally hose your chef server. In my case, one of my recipes deleted the validation.pem key - which is correct on the client, but disastrous ont he server, since it would destroy the root of the PKI infrastructure. The solution was to special-case the chef-server.

In Chef 11, that's no longer a problem. Great job, Opscode team!

Secondly - and that still applies - if you have a bug in one of your cookbooks, you could run into a chicken-and-egg problem. For instance, if you accidentally block port 443 in iptables. With most clients, it's not a big deal - you fix it, and on the next chef run, the client is back. But if you mess up your chef server that way, you can't even run chef-client and have to manually fix the problem. Granted, this type of problem can happen with other things besides chef; I once accidentally brought down our resolving DNS server. Ever since, I use a chef recipe to put the IP address of the chef server into /etc/hosts

Kevin Keane

The NetTech

760-721-8339

http://www.4nettech.com