[chef] Re: Re: Modifying Windows Service Logon As

  • From: David Petzel < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Modifying Windows Service Logon As
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 22:25:44 -0500

The logonas_user is relatively easy to account for via the registry provider (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\<service_name>\ObjectName). The logonas_password is a whole other story and is something we have yet to figure out a solution to on our end as well.

The challenge we've hit is its easy to "create" the service with the proper password, however managing that in the event of a password change is problematic. It would be great if the provider you've started could make it into the community cookbook with support for managing the password. I just noticed that there is some password logic that I don't fully understand at https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/lib/chef/util/windows/net_user.rb#L125. I'm curious if that same logic could used for the service account password?