[chef] Re: node status tracking time stamp

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: node status tracking time stamp
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:27:31 -0800

On Monday, February 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Jasna Benčić wrote:

Ohai Chefs,

Can you please explain to me how is Management console tracking nodes i.e. their status?  - What I precisely mean how does it check date/time when was last chef-client run?  How do you get that time stamp information from code perspective?

I haven't found code around that, that's why I ask.

Chef server api docs are great but haven't found commands which would help me to retrieve something from Chef server with precise date/time when something was changed and what exactly has been changed.

Thanks in advance,

J.
If you’re talking about the “classic” status page which just lists the last time chef ran (and has the same info as `knife status`), that timestamp comes from ohai as the “ohai_time” attribute, which you can observe during a chef run with `node[“ohai_time”]`. Source: https://github.com/opscode/ohai/blob/master/lib/ohai/plugins/ohai_time.rb

If you’re talking about the new reporting data on preview.opscode.com (can also be installed in on-premises Enterprise Chef), that data is collected by the resource reporter: https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/lib/chef/resource_reporter.rb I haven’t personally tried it, but if you want an open source option for reporting what chef has changed on a system, you could try this: https://github.com/theforeman/chef-handler-foreman

HTH,

--
Daniel DeLeo