[chef] Re: Parsing Chef's Multiline Output

  • From: Zac Stevens < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Parsing Chef's Multiline Output
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 15:18:35 +0000

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Greg Zapp < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
I would like to know if anyone is dealing with Chef's multiline output when shipping to something like logstash->elasticsearch.  Currently Chef does not delineate log entries when they span multiple lines.  I'm considering monkey patching the logger to add a frame around the log entries but I'm not sure where the best place to do this is?  Ideally I would get it implemented before chef makes a single log entry...

When I've done this in the past, I've just used Logstash's multiline filter to collapse lines that don't begin with a datestamp in square brackets (as that's reliably at the beginning of every Chef log line).

Zac