[chef] COOK-1406 (postgresql/pg gem/openssl/libpq problem) still unresolved?

  • From: Liam Kirsher < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] COOK-1406 (postgresql/pg gem/openssl/libpq problem) still unresolved?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:19:55 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to get the postgresql recipe to work.  Specifically, using postgis.  For various reasons related to postgis and the gdal lib, I pretty much have to use unbuntu 12.04, and Postgresql 9.3 and Postgis 2.1.
I keep running into COOK-1406, which is a mismatch between the openssl lib linked to by postgresql and chef pg gem.
The issue is marked as closed, but I seem to be running into exactly that issue.  Here's the abbreviated output.
---- Begin output of /opt/chef/embedded/bin/gem install pg -q --no-rdoc --no-ri -v "0.17.1" ----
STDOUT: Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
STDERR: ERROR:  Error installing pg:

        /opt/chef/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for pg_config... yes
Using config values from /usr/bin/pg_config
checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
checking for libpq/libpq-fs.h... yes
checking for pg_config_manual.h... yes
checking for PQconnectdb() in -lpq... no
checking for PQconnectdb() in -llibpq... no
checking for PQconnectdb() in -lms/libpq... no
Can't find the PostgreSQL client library (libpq)
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

A comment on the issue by Jessica Bourne states
You actually shouldn't need to customize the bootstrap file to work around this, you can just specify any bootstrap file with -d aside from chef-full when first bootstrapping and it won't use omnibus.
However, when I try that like this

knife solo prepare 192.168.1.X -d ubuntu12.04-gems -x vagrant vagrant

The result is the same.

Joshua Timberman offered a workaround

I was able to get the pg gem to install in the Chef omnibus location with the "install.sh" here:

https://gist.github.com/3954641

However, that seems pretty clumsy. (Also, I think there's a way to include that install.h without running it by hand... what is it?)  I haven't tried it.

Anyway, that was back in Oct 2012.

Is the postgresql recipe still broken?
Or, have I made some mistake in implementing the workaround listed by Jessica?
What should I do?

Thanks for your help!

Liam

--