All - I don't know who will be happier me or you when I finally get this project completed...
As previously noted, I discovered there is a character limitation to the vsphere VM hostname in order for the " knife-vsphere vm vmdk add ..." command to work. (BTW: Is this limitation documented somewhere? I can't find it)
So for testing purposes, I shortened the hostname and rebuilt the VM. The "knife-vsphere vm vmdk add ..." command does see the VM on the data store
when it goes to create the first 'add-on' vmdk, it fails because it says it already exists.
So, in summary:
- I tried putting the vmdk to a different data store than the primary vm's vmdk
- The vmdk was created (VMname_1.vmdk)
- it fails to attach the VMDK to the VM with the following error:
"undefined method 'deviceInfo' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)"
- tried to create another vmdk on a third data store
It created the vmdk
- it failed to attach to the VM with same error about the deviceInfo
- the vmdk suffix was not correctly incremented. (created as VMname_1.vmdk but
should have been VMname_2.vmdk)
So the two problems I'm seeing with the vmdk add option are:
1- additional VMDKs will not create on the same data store as the initial vm vmdk. Fails saying already exists
2- additional VMDKs will create on separate data stores but do not properly attach to the master VM, do not recognize each others existence. Fail with "undefined method 'deviceInfo'"
Are only certain disk device types recognized and are they documented somewhere? What am I missing here?
Oh, also, I AM using the 0.9.8 knife-vsphere plugin. (I was having problem with 0.9.7 and upgraded).
Here is my command (spaced out for readability):
knife vsphere vm vmdk add
I sure hope someone has some ideas....
Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 21, 2014, at 11:56 AM, Anna Redding < "> > wrote:
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.