[chef] Re: RE: Re: fqdn and Chef Server

  • From: David Gil < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: fqdn and Chef Server
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 13:07:06 +0200

Hi!

S'està citant "Kadel-Garcia, Nico" < >:

I’d actually recommend using IP’s for the chef server, in general. If your DNS is managed from chef, and accidentally fails due to a misconfiguration, it can be very awkward to get chef-client to run on the messed up DNS server to clear the problem without this.

The docs say:

About FQDNs and Hostnames

The hostname for the Chef server must meet the following requirements:

  1. The hostname must be a FQDN, including the domain suffix. For example, something like mychefserver.example.com (and not something like mychefserver)
  2. The hostname must be resolvable. In most cases, such as for a Chef server that will run in a production environment, add the hostname for the Chef server to the DNS system. In some cases, such as when deploying Chef server into a testing environment, just adding the hostname to the /etc/hosts file is enough to ensure that a hostname is resolvable

The api_fqdn setting can be added to the private-chef.rb file (it is not there by default). When added, its value should be equal to the FQDN for the service URI used by the Chef server. Then configure the same value for the bookshelf['vip'] setting prior to installing Enterprise Chef. For example: api_fqdn "chef.example.com".

From that it seems that It is compulsory to have it in a DNS system. Nevertheless, should I try and replace any mention of the hostname in the config files by the IP?

If that is possible, then maybe it should be told so in the docs.

Cheers,

David Gil

--
Nico Kadel-Garcia