[chef] RE: Re: Re: Re: Versioning forked cookbooks

  • From: "Kadel-Garcia, Nico" < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] RE: Re: Re: Re: Versioning forked cookbooks
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 04:16:23 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I'm afraid that there are too many options and too many practices. Since there are only 3 fields for release numbers, there is no option to have a "1.0.0.1" for a locally modified version of the upstream 1.0.0. And  when you modify version "1.0.0" for a local patch, and call it "1.0.1" to get it to auto-update, you now have a conflict.

Personally, I like being a dirty rotten scoundrel and *back* numbering my in-house version of a cookbook, to say "0.9.0". Leave space for a few revisions, and lock the version of the cookbook in the environments. Then upstream updates can be published and upated as desired without modifying the in-house verson. And when upstream gets the patches, just release the lock.

If you have to keep both cookbooks alongside each other, neither librarian-chef nor Berkshelf support deploying multiple versions of the same cookbook from the same 'Berksfile.lock' or 'Cheffile.lock'. You need a different directory with a different Berksfile or a different Cheffile with the old version locked in, deploying only the relevant older cookbook and older dependencies. But this is true for any chef environment that serves multiple cookbook versions for multiple QA or Production environments from the same server.

You cannot rely on "Oh, I installed that before with Berkshelf or Libratian-chef so it will always be there.", not unless you have a very thorough backup and lockdown system. It's too easy to have a cookbook that conflicts in number with a new, desired upstream if you just increment numbers, and then you're stick trying to support two cookbooks with the same name *and* the same number!

--
Nico Kadel-Garcia

Senior Systems Consultant