[chef] How does metadata's "support" settings work?

  • From: Oscar < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] How does metadata's "support" settings work?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 00:16:44 -0300

Hi All,
I am learning Chef and I am writing my first Cookbook.
in which Chef basically can't find a cookbook I reference in my berkshelf file. (I reference others and they work).

The point is: I am referencing an iptables cookbook in an windows environment for testing purposes. I expect it to fail, but I expect it to fail because iptables is not present and not because it can't find the cookbook.

I noticed that simple_iptables has a supports settings in the metada and I found this link in this list: http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2013-09/msg00388.html

I would like to know how the supports settings work: will it prevent the cookbook from being used in an environment which is not supported? Could it be the reason for the error I am getting?

Thanks!