[chef] Re: Re: Re: What if we killed the mailing list altogether...

  • From: Eric Herot < >
  • To: AJ Christensen < >,
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: What if we killed the mailing list altogether...
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 21:04:37 -0500

Judging by how rarely code snippets and formatting are used on the mailing list I would argue that they are actually not a feature of email that most people consider to be usable.  Some email clients (Airmail) have somewhat decent tools for doing Markdown, but many do not, or people do not know how to use them.

I haven’t used Discourse, but it looks neat.  Reminds me of Slack, which I use all the time.  My personal wants would be:

- Decent formatting tools (would be especially cool if it knew how to syntax highlight Ruby)
- Searchability
- Discreet topics
- Some way to make sure I can still sort of get “push” notifications of new topics the way that I do with email.  Maybe this isn’t true for everyone but for me personally if I don’t see questions that I know how to answer amongst my regular email flow, I tend to forget that the mailing list exists until I need to ask a question of my own.  In other words, I’d want to make sure it had a way to coerce knowledgable users to actively participate.

If Discourse isn’t to everyone’s liking, what about something like a chef-only StackExchange?  Would that work?

--
Eric