[chef] Re: What if we killed the mailing list altogether...

  • From: Nathen Harvey < >
  • To: Adam Jacob < >
  • Cc: " " < >, "Julian C. Dunn" < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: What if we killed the mailing list altogether...
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:19:28 -0500

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Adam Jacob < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
And just moved all of our conversation over to Discourse?

If only because it's questions like this that have killed the migration in the past.  We get into analysis paralysis about which tool should we migrate to.  We analyze the pros and cons of each.  Try some of them out and then give up on the project because, while a priority, it doesn't have a high enough priority to maintain our attention span.

Our goals in this project include:

* Migrate off of an in-house managed mail list system
* Provide "mail in" and "mail out" on a reliable, easy-to-use platform
* Provide an archive of previous mail list content

I'm all for debate and looking at alternate solutions but this will prolong the migration process and may even stall it out completely again.

There is a proposal on StackExchange [0] for a Chef group.  As of this morning, it still needs 30 more questions with a score of 10 or more to move on to the next phase.  Help get behind that if you think it's appropriate.

Google groups, with all of it's challenges, is stable, reliable, and easy-to-use.

My vote is to move forward with the approved RFC [1] and I think we're on track to complete that work by the end of the calendar year.