[chef] Re: Re: Question about Hosted Chef

  • From: Ben Rockwood < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Question about Hosted Chef
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 01:12:31 -0700

Some clarification is required here.

Chef takes the security of Hosted Chef _very_ seriously.  For details please contact Chef Sales and they can supply you with all the information you need, depending on the types of concerns or compliance requirements you have.

To Noah's point, encrypted data bags provide you with additional security to ensure that even above-and-beyond the security we employ your data is safe.  We highly recommend utilizing encryption to ensure the highest level of protection.  You can learn more about them here:

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Noah Kantrowitz < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On May 26, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Jing Li < "> > wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> We are currently hosting our own Chef Server on AWS, it's awesome!
>
> As our servers growing, we are looking at to move to the hosted Chef solution. Since we store many credential information in our cook books such as SSL certificate, passwords and etc, we would like to learn more about the security mode for hosted Chef solution.
>
> Can anyone please help us on it?

The security model is basically that there isn't one. Chef has lots of awesome engineers but Hosted Chef is, at heart, just a big database-powered web app and so has the same overall security properties as most other apps like that you've worked with. One of the major reasons why encrypted data bags were added is it gives you an "out" on the security side of things, Hosted Chef never gets a copy of the decryption key(s) and so within the bounds of AES being considered unbreakable these days you can assume that no possible data leakage from Hosted Chef could disclose the encrypted items. Beyond that you would need to be more specific about what kind of properties you are looking at.

--Noah