[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef Client 12.4.0 Released

  • From: Tensibai < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef Client 12.4.0 Released
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:01:53 +0200

Le 2015-06-24 23:31, Daniel DeLeo a écrit :

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Tensibai Zhaoying wrote:

I'm this case you should (must) have two separate installs, one chef-dk for developing cookbooks, etc. And one chef-client alone toanage the node as Amy other node.
This mean having a knife.rb with your user cert and a client.rb with your workstation key.
Chef-client ithin chef-dk is not supposed to manage a node (even if it can)
Main principle, have a tool for each purpose, never mix or you'll hit a breaking change somewhere ;)
My thoughts, just supported by own experience with various tooling with no factual evidence to present. Given As Is ;)

Using the chef-client that comes with ChefDK is fine. They're just not released in lockstep, so you'll have to wait for a ChefDK with client 12.4 in it.

Installing both can be problematic since they both symlink a few of the same things into /usr/bin, though you can get around this if you absolutely must.

--
Daniel DeLeo

 Aww I've omitted a point, indeed it is perfectly ok to use Chef from chef-dk.

What I meant is if you wish to use a different version (newer) don't try upgrading the chef within chef-dk as is but use a separate install, with a helper script to avoid the simlinks and work only within the 'install' path.

Anyway, I recomend using a different user in knife.rb than client.rb to keep the responsibilities separated between the administration work and the workstation management by chef.

Thanks Daniel for the reminder :)