[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Incentivizing open source, possible bounty program?

  • From: "Eric G. Wolfe" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Incentivizing open source, possible bounty program?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 18:49:03 -0500

It has been my experience that people already do this when they see the Opscode shirts.  If I happen to be wearing an Opscode T-Shirt at a conference, then it ultimately leads to a conversation about Chef.

I like Ann's idea of an incentive to have conference admission compensated for key community contributors.

I also like James' idea of putting a monetary bounty on high priority bugs/issues.  That would probably work well for many independent consultants, looking for work when business is slow.  Monetary bounties may not fly for certain community developers, if there happens to be any ethical non-compete issue with their employment contract, however.

I wasn't fully aware there was a list of high priority bugs.  Is there a better way to highlight which outstanding issues are a top priority, and bounty worthy, maybe within JIRA?
Eric G. Wolfe
Senior Linux Administrator,
IT Infrastructure Systems
Marshall University Computing Services