[chef] Quick knife ssh question

  • From: Joshua Jarboe < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Quick knife ssh question
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:14:24 -0800

Good evening,

Trying to get knife ssh to work.  In interactive mode if I try chef-client (or sudo chef-client) I see a very verbose message which boils down to:

Failed to read the private key /etc/chef/client.pem:

I cannot read /etc/chef/client.pem, which you told me to use to sign requests! (Chef::Exceptions::PrivateKeyMissing)

I'm a bit confused by this.  If I ssh into the box and open the /etc/chef/client.pem, I see that a key is present.  It appears that the server isn't allowed to read it's own key.

Did I miss something up here? Is there documentation on this?

~Joshua Jarboe