[chef] Re: Quick knife ssh question

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Quick knife ssh question
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:20:21 -0800

On Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Joshua Jarboe wrote:

Good evening,

Trying to get knife ssh to work.  In interactive mode if I try chef-client (or sudo chef-client) I see a very verbose message which boils down to:

Failed to read the private key /etc/chef/client.pem:

I cannot read /etc/chef/client.pem, which you told me to use to sign requests! (Chef::Exceptions::PrivateKeyMissing)

I'm a bit confused by this.  If I ssh into the box and open the /etc/chef/client.pem, I see that a key is present.  It appears that the server isn't allowed to read it's own key.

Did I miss something up here? Is there documentation on this?
Can you provide more detail on what you're doing? What knife command are you running from your workstation? What happens if you ssh in to the remote node (the old fashioned way) and run chef-client? Is there anything notable missing from your environment if you run `ssh REMOTEBOX env` vs. sshing in and then running `env`?

--
Dan DeLeo

~Joshua Jarboe