[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggestions for upcoming community summit

  • From: Kevin Nuckolls < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggestions for upcoming community summit
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 09:55:39 -0500

"DevOps does not operate by the old silo rules.  By definition, it is cross-disciplinary.  I don't think it makes sense to try to cram DevOps back into a user group model that comes from the old-style everything-is-a-silo world."

+1.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Brad Knowles < "> > wrote:
On Nov 2, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Ranjib Dey wrote:

> Also how local chapters of chef community can be created/maintained and more chef-hack days in different cities across the world (and how opscode can enable/support that).

Thinking about this some more, and looking back to the local interactions we've had here on the topic of Chef in Austin, it seems to me that you can't really isolate it from the broader context of DevOps, Agile Development, and Cloud Computing.  It seems to me that you might be better off trying to foster the development of local groups in these areas, and try to keep the cross-pollination to a higher level.

Here in Austin, we have the Austin Cloud Users Group, AgileAustin, the Austin Hadoop Users Group, Cassandra Austin, LOPSA-Austin (LOPSA being the League of Professional System Administrators), the Austin Storage Networking User Group, CACTUS (the local USENIX chapter), various local Linux User Groups, and several SIGs organized underneath AgileAustin (including a DevOps SIG), and we have a lot of the same people who are active in multiple groups -- including some of us who are members of the Chef community.

I think this cross-pollination is useful and important to maintain, and I'm not sure we could get enough people together in one place for a user group devoted to Chef exclusively.

DevOps does not operate by the old silo rules.  By definition, it is cross-disciplinary.  I don't think it makes sense to try to cram DevOps back into a user group model that comes from the old-style everything-is-a-silo world.

I don't think it makes sense to try to do that to Chef, either.

--
Brad Knowles < "> >
SAGE Level IV, Chef Level 0.0.1