[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggestions for upcoming community summit

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggestions for upcoming community summit
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 12:38:45 +0530

+1 for live streaming.
-1 for certification. I dont kniw if certification really helps, at least at this stage
chef server HA has been discusses various times in the mailing thread, as well as in the IRC
would love to see discussion around the ticket triaging process.
Also how local chapters of chef community can be created/maintained and more chef-hack days in different cities across the world (and how opscode can enable/support that).

As of now, i prefer to off load the decision making of which chef server to use (hosted or on premise ) on the clients. But i try to encourage adopting opscode chef-server initially if the requirement is low (less than 5 nodes) and if that adds value they can go ahead and change the engagement plan.. will love to hear how other are working,,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Daniel DeLeo < "> > wrote:

On Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Bryan Berry wrote:

> what would be the best to protect my current system before testing it?
>
> off the top of my head
> back up couchdb
> back up gems directory
> backup /{var,usr}/lib/chef
> stop chef services
> put new chef code in place of old, depending on whether using gems or rpm
> restart chef services
>

> did I miss anything in this list?
Backing up your Solr data is not strictly required (you can run `knife index rebuild` to get it back), but may make for a smoother recovery. Similarly, your rabbitmq config (generally in var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/ or similar) can be recreated (and Chef generally won't touch it except in something like the bootstrap cookbook) but may be worth backing up as well.

And please do let us know about your experiences testing, both good and bad--it will help us decide when to go from beta to RC. For RCs, we've instituted a three day freeze policy where we wait for three days without a reported regression before shipping the final version.

Thanks in advance!

--
Dan DeLeo