[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggestions for upcoming community summit

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Brad Knowles < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggestions for upcoming community summit
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:11:34 +0100

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Brad Knowles < "> > wrote:
On Nov 2, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Ranjib Dey wrote:

> +1 for live streaming.

I'm more on the fence.  What would you stream?  A single camera out in the lobby area? A single camera in each room?  A camera every ten feet?

the presentations and organized discussions

It would be nice to livestream the hallway track as well but I don't think that's feasible

I might be interested in seeing videos of the presentations (with access to copies of the slides), but how much of the summit is going to be presentations versus discussions, bull sessions, and the "hallway track"?  How much of that discussion might be totally irrelevant in a month or six?

> -1 for certification. I dont kniw if certification really helps, at least at this stage

Agreed.  Discussion regarding certification is appropriate for relatively mature products in a relatively mature space.  Chef and DevOps are neither.

> As of now, i prefer to off load the decision making of which chef server to use (hosted or on premise ) on the clients. But i try to encourage adopting opscode chef-server initially if the requirement is low (less than 5 nodes) and if that adds value they can go ahead and change the engagement plan.. will love to hear how other are working,,

IMO, a lot depends on who the clients are.  For certain categories of clients, getting the lowest possible barrier to entry is key.  For example, anyone who just wants to play around with it and see what they can get it to do for them, or who isn't working in an industry where terms like SarbOx & PCI-DSS are used on a daily basis.  Or anyone who already has most or all of their stuff "in the cloud".

Installing and operating your own local chef-server is a non-trivial task with a fairly high barrier to entry, if all you're going to do is use that to deploy and manage five nodes.

--
Brad Knowles < "> >
SAGE Level IV, Chef Level 0.0.1