[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MySQL Cookbook

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MySQL Cookbook
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:09:02 -0700

attributes not only allows us to tune/customize the behavior of an recipe, without changing it (kinda open close principle applied to recipes) , but also provides a mechanism for detecting or storing persistent information beyond a chef run. So even if you dont want to customize a property, but just want to access it beyond the chef run you might want to model it as an attribute. iirc the mysql cookbook generates a random root password (using the openssl cookbook libraries?) and stores it as an attribute, here you cant change it , but still you can grab it and use for other tooling (like the lwrps for database and user uses this info), the cookbook also restrict the root access to localhost.

regarding multiple service start, ubuntu does this as part of the installation, and also the config changes require service restart/reload again.
Again these are not the best implementation, but they are getting better. I recall joshua had posted on the mailing list regarding this specific case, i.e. mysql root password/mysql cookbook and some tricky use cases.