[chef] Re: Berkshelf with chef-repo: am I doing it right?

  • From: Vladimir Skubriev < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Berkshelf with chef-repo: am I doing it right?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:59:32 +0400

29.11.2013 07:27, Kevin Yank пишет:
" type="cite">
Hi all,

Although I’m used to maintaining a standard chef-repo for my organisation’s cookbooks and their dependencies, I’ve decided to adopt Berkshelf because it makes it easier to track “unofficial” cookbooks, and forks of “official” cookbooks that have tweaks or fixes that I need.

Although I have it pretty much working for me, I have the niggling sense that I’m not doing it quite right. And all of the documentation and guidance I have found online seems to assume you are using Berkshelf to manage the dependencies of a cookbook you are working on in isolation. I have found almost nothing in the way of guidance on how to use it in the context of a chef-repo.

Here’s what I’ve done:

1) Delete from my chef-repo all third-party cookbooks that I am simply using, not maintaining for my organisation.
2) Create a Berksfile in the root of my chef-repo, and list all of the cookbooks I have just deleted from my chef-repo.
3) ‘berks install’ to install them as Berkshelf-managed cookbooks.
4) ‘berks upload’ to upload all of the Berkshelf-managed cookbooks to my Chef Server.

While this works, it seems a little ungainly. Depending on whether I am uploading a berkshelf-managed cookbook or one of my own application’s cookbooks, I need to upload it to my Chef Server by different means (‘berks upload’ or ‘knife cookbook upload’).
Only store you application cookbooks in separate repo, doesn't use git submodules.
" type="cite">
Is this how others are using Berkshelf with a chef-repo, or have I missed something?
How I understood, everyone does as he wants )))
" type="cite">
I get the sense many Berkshelf devotees choose to do without a chef-repo entirely, and instead maintain just a cookbook for their application. And while this may work fine for a chef-solo based workflow,
It's horrible. ((
" type="cite">
I don’t see how you could do without node roles, environments, and data bags if you’re managing clusters of servers with Chef Server as I am.
As far as I know berkshelf developer (Jamie Winsor and riot games) doesn't using chef-repo ) They are used chef-solo for provision systems.

And berkshelf is developed mainly for chef-solo use case.

See this article.

https://coderwall.com/p/j72egw

Hope this help something for you

" type="cite">
Any guidance, pointers or thoughts appreciated.

--
Kevin Yank
Chief Technology Officer, Avalanche Technology Group

ph: +61 4 2241 0083

I agree that there is small amount of information about this.

--
Best regards,

CVision Lab System Administrator
Vladmir Skubriev