[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Berkshelf with chef-repo: am I doing it right?

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Berkshelf with chef-repo: am I doing it right?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:51:08 +0100

The Chef solo / Vagrant / Berkshelf / Application Cookbooks workflow that works well for me described here:
http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2013-10/msg00307.html

The problem with a top-level Berksfile in the chef-repo is that you are assuming a single consistent set of cookbooks across *all* the nodes you manage via that chef-repo.

I tend to stick with the "one application cookbook per node" paradigm and resolve each application cookbook's dependencies into a dedicated sub-directory so that their transitive dependencies don't clash.

Finally, I'm calling the "infrastructure repo" because of using one chef-repo like structure per "infrastructure", where infrastrcture means just a set of correlated nodes.

See the example here:
https://github.com/tknerr/sample-infrastructure-repo

Cheers,
Torben